Podcasting Essentials Training Course
Learn how to plan, record, edit and distribute podcasts
Following this training course, you will understand:
- How podcasts can add value to your brand or organisation
- The latest trends and developments in the podcast sector
- How to identify a podcast audience and serve it effectively
- Innovative ways to plan and produce successful podcasts
- Hardware and software required to record and edit high-quality podcasts
- Podcast distribution, promotion and monetisation techniques
All attendees receive an attendance certificate, digital copies of course material and four weeks post course support online.
Podcasts are at the heart of the business of digital media. They offer a direct, authentic route to audiences. And with listening at an all-time high, there has never been a better time to learn about and create podcasts.
This practical workshop, led by former BBC producer Jack Soper, examines the key trends in podcasting, outlines the skills required to make them, and considers the marketing, promotion and distribution of the finished product.
During the day, you will learn how to tailor your content for the podcast format, and then record, edit and publish it, to give it maximum potential for success. You will also gain skills in interviewing, scriptwriting and delivery, as well as how to apply music and sound effects. Everyone attending this course will leave equipped with both editorial and technical knowledge to start creating high-quality podcasts.
Introduction to Podcasts
- "What is a podcast anyway?"
- Podcasts and how they fit alongside other content types
- What makes a "good" podcast
- Latest stats and audience profiles
Successful Podcast Formats and Future Trends
- Format types to consider
- Case studies – successful podcasts and why they work
- Smart speakers and in-car technology
Writing, Delivering and Recording Podcast Scripts
- What’s different about writing for audio
- How to engage through the spoken word
- Choosing and working with audio equipment
- Getting the best from yourself or your podcast presenters
Getting Great Podcast Interviews
- Interview styles and formats to consider
- Interview techniques to create engaging audio
- Use of sound to illustrate and bring interviews to life
Audio Editing and Mixing
- Overview of the principles and techniques of audio post-production
- Audio editing and mixing demonstration
- Software and equipment to consider
- Third-party audio editing tools, tips and tricks
Promotion and Marketing
- Podcast hosts, platforms and distribution services
- Tools to create effective social content with audio
- Options for release and publishing strategies
- Podcast monetisation options
The Podcast Essentials training course is designed for anyone involved in marketing, social media, content strategy, content management or production, looking to inject greater sophistication into their online communication with podcasts.
Attendees are not required to bring anything to the course, but if you'd like to get hands-on practical advice, you are welcome to bring audio recording devices, and editing software you are using, or plan to use.
This course is led by Jack Soper.
Jack is a producer, trainer and consultant with over 20 years’ media experience. He works for the BBC, training journalists and content producers, is a visiting lecturer in media and journalism and produces content for a range of clients. He won the Gold Sony Radio Academy Award for his audio promotions.
Read more about Jack Soper »