HTML Email Development Training Course
Master the art of HTML and CSS coding for emails
Course Details & Enrolment
|Live Online Course||£460.00 (7% off)||Book Now|
|This course can be delivered to teams at your business or organisation.||Enquire Now|
|Course length: 1 day (9.30am - 5.00pm) includes digital copies of materials and certification||* All prices exclude VAT|
Following this HTML Email training course, you will understand:
- How to code HTML email campaigns that look great for your users
- The challenges and solutions when coding for email
- How different email readers support HTML and CSS and how to create workarounds
- How to create email campaigns that adapt for the smaller screen on mobile devices
- How to test your code in different email clients and on mobile devices
- How to build email templates and save time by making your HTML re-usable
All attendees receive an attendance certificate, digital copies of course material and four weeks post course support online.
Email marketing is increasingly seen as a highly effective digital marketing channel that can provide excellent ROI. But coding emails that work well in the inbox is fast becoming a specialist skill – one that's separate to developing for the regular web.
In this one day HTML email development course, we will give you the hands on skills to convert a Photoshop email design into best practice HTML and CSS. You will learn coding techniques to ensure that your email campaigns not only look great for your users, but work across the myriad of email readers.
We’ll also look at how to make layouts that adapt for mobiles using media queries and responsive email design. And we'll discuss pushing the boundaries of email code using real-world examples that you may have encountered.
Essential Components of an HTML Email
- Creating designs that translate well to HTML
- What to ask from your designer
- Starter template run-through
Live Coding Session
- Techniques to prepare and slice final designs before coding
- Creating HTML and CSS email code that works
- Using HTML boilerplates and snippets to save time
Coding When Images Are Disabled
- Using web text, effective background colours and alt attributes
- Building bulletproof buttons that work without image loading
- Ensuring your message still gets through
Checking Email Client Rendering And Fixing Common Issues
- Using 3rd party services to carry out email reader testing
- Common rendering issues and how to fix them
- Cheat sheet for email reader support
- Setting client expectations (for agencies)
Coding Responsive (Mobile-Friendly) Emails
- Designing mobile friendly emails
- Responsive email design techniques
- Coding media queries in email
- Support for responsive design; and what to do when it isn't supported
- Live coding email example
Building Re-usable Templates
- Coding for different email platforms
- Using shells, modules and templates
- Making email marketing easier for non-technical team members
Dark Mode In Email
- What is dark mode and how does it impact emails?
- Design considerations for dark mode
- Coding for dark mode emails
Future Proofing Your HTML Emails
- Video in email
- CSS3, HTML5 and neat tricks
- Using social media and email
- Setting up and using dynamic content
- A chance to discuss real world email coding issues and challenges
The HTML Email Development training course is aimed at email marketers, designers, developers or web producers who want improve their email coding skills. A basic knowledge of HTML coding is required to attend this course.
If you have no prior experience of HTML or CSS development, we recommend attending our HTML & CSS for Beginners course first.
Typical attendees include: email marketers or digital designers who need to understand how to create HTML emails; programmers who need to understand the nuances of HTML and CSS for emails; and web producers who need to better manage their teams or suppliers.
The HTML Email Development course will be led by Jay Oram.
Jay has been working in Digital Marketing for over 10 years, but his real passion is email coding.
As Head of Development at Action Rocket - specialists in email marketing and CRM - he runs the code and solutions team, building everything from one-off interactive emails, to complete email design systems.
Jay and his team work with brands such as the BBC, PizzaExpress, Sky, Gymshark, Nespresso and lots more.
Read more about Jay Oram »
What people say
The trainer was very knowledgeable about HTML email coding and explained each topic very well. I learned a lot about how to code and what I should/shouldn't be doing!
Transport for London
This was a very helpful course. The trainer was so patient and took the time to answer every question we had. I definitely recommend!
Very informative and useful course to drill down into how to use HTML to develop good looking and robust emails that will work across different platforms.
Elliott did a great job of explaining the importance of mobile-first email in an increasingly changing environment! From teaching us email client rendering using a happy/sad Kanye West analogy, to using kitten images as placeholder images - Elliott's teaching is fresh, and dare I say it "cool" - not something you'd associate with HTML coding!
Great course. And live coding was really helpful in giving us instant results, and a better understanding of the code we were writing.
A very well presented course on a potentially confusing subject.
This course is great for basic-level HTML coders – I am primarily a graphic designer for print, and learned well with ease – email is very different to coding for web!
Very informative and nicely structured course. Would highly recommend!
Our tutor obviously knew his stuff and was still actively working in the industry which was great. He also offered continuing support after the course which will be invaluable.
Contiki c/o BS&T