HTML & CSS For Beginners Training Course
If you're involved in web projects, content management or email marketing, it's important to have an understanding of the HTML and CSS code underpinning web pages or HTML emails.
This one day workshop will give you the confidence to create your own HTML or CSS code for web pages or emails, as well as manage content, assets and 3rd party code or widgets. The course will also give you the skills to look at the source code of any web page or email template, and understand the pieces of the jigsaw.
During the day, we will cover the structure of an HTML document, the core HTML tags, CSS properties, and differences between web pages and HTML emails. We will also introduce HTML5, discuss its importance in future-proofing your website.
The session is taught in a fun and relaxed environment, with lots of interactivity to help you along the way. Bring a laptop and be prepared to get knee deep in code!
Internet Building Blocks
- An overview of how the Internet is structured
- The core development languages and their uses
- Defining static versus dynamic pages
- Where web pages live and how to access them
HTML - For Websites & Email Campaigns
- Understanding the structure of an HTML document
- The vocabulary and grammar of HTML
- Creating your own HTML using the core HTML tags
- Using browser tools and extensions to easily test your HTML
- The core differences between HTML used in web pages vs email campaigns
CSS - Cascading Style Sheets
- Understanding CSS and where/when to use it
- Why CSS will improve your productivity
- When to use CSS versus HTML
- The differences between CSS in web pages versus HTML emails
- The core CSS properties and syntax
- Understanding the CSS box model and its impact on page design
- Mobile-friendliness: using media queries for responsive design
- Moving from style to interaction - the future of CSS3
Testing Your Code
- Using free online coding tools, to test (and share) your code
- Popular browser testing tools
- Email testing tools: how they work and why they are so important
- How to use Chrome to test your mobile friendliness
- What it looks like and how to understand it
HTML5 - The Latest Incarnation of HTML
- What is HTML5 and what makes it different
- Tools to test HTML5 compatibility in browsers
- Commercial and non-commercial examples of stunning HTML5
- The main browsers and their differences
- Understanding browser compatibility
- Desktop versus mobile browsers: market share stats
Following this training course, you will understand:
- The fundamentals of front-end web development
- How web pages and HTML emails are structured
- The key HTML tags and CSS styles and their impact on web pages and emails
- Other languages that can be used on the web
- The core browser variants and their fundamental differences
- How to test your code to ensure it works across all platforms and browsers
All attendees receive an attendance certificate, digital copies of course material and four weeks post course support online.
This training course is for anyone responsible for managing or editing websites, HTML emails or online content. It's also suitable for people who would like to further their knowledge of front-end website development.
Typical attendees include: designers, content editors, marketers, project managers or anyone else involved in digital projects.
This is a beginner level course aimed at audiences who have no or little prior knowledge of front-end coding.
Delegates are requested to bring a WiFi enabled laptop for this course.
The HTML & CSS for Beginners course will be run by Jonathan Saipe.
Back in the mid 90's, when words like 'browser' and 'web' meant something very different to most people, Jonathan was already a digital pioneer. Having worked at global ad agency, Publicis as Internet Development Director in the 90's, he launched FIFO – a web design agency – in 1999. He formed Emarketeers less than a decade later.
Jonathan brings his wealth of web development experience to this web coding course, making it lively, fun and highly interactive!
Read more about Jonathan Saipe »
Jonathan is amazing and I would recommend this course to people have started to use HTML and CSS.
The course was really interesting and engaging throughout - it was packed with information and practical exercises. I'm looking forward to using my new skills at work!
Marks & Spencer
The course is very thorough whilst remaining accessible and enjoyable. Will certainly seek out further training through Emarketeers in the future.
A fantastic course, Jonathan was incredibly welcoming and made the course interesting and exciting. The day has been extremely beneficial for my job and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone looking to improve their skills with HTML & CSS.
This was a really useful course to give a more thorough understanding of basic html and CSS coding. I would recommend this course for anyone who has indirect responsibility for coding web pages or emails (or directly manages coders who look after this).
I really enjoyed the course and felt like it was a very friendly and encouraging environment. I was not afraid to ask questions which is always a good sign.
London College of Fashion
Really useful course for introducing you to the basics of HTML coding. The pace and content covered is just right for anyone starting out from scratch but also for anyone with a little "self-taught" knowledge to ensure no bad habits have been picked up.
I really appreciated the trainers welcoming attitude, very nice venue and the little details like lovely gluten free cookies. Thanks!
Very good short course, as usual this company provides enjoyable training day full of useful information and tips.
Very enjoyable course which ran at the right pace. Kept us interested throughout and reminded us of what we should be doing as well as discussing some new ideas.