Writing for the Web Training Course
Turbo-boost your online and email writing skills
High quality online content for your web, mobile and social presence is critical to your organisation's success. Copy has a massive impact on audience perceptions and is the best way to communicate, persuade and sell.
Our practical one day online writing course offers research-based best practice that has been shown to improve web page and email marketing performance by over 100%.
We will use many real-life examples and re-write exercises making this a fun day, that will help you to develop real confidence in your new copywriting skills.
This course will leave you super-energised to start improving your online and digital content!
Understanding Your Audience
- How people read online - the impact on online copywriting
- Profiling – ways to understand your audience better, so you can write for them more effectively
- Scrolling - encouraging people to scroll and how to manage it if they don’t
- Offers and promotions – how to get people reading this critical content
- Legibility - ensure your text is easy to read on the screen
Choosing The Right Language
- What sort of language should you use online?
- Grammar - how fussy should we be?
- Guidelines and exercises on: vocabulary, sentences and paragraphs
- Tone of voice – developing consistency and excellence within an organisation
- Concision – how can we be more concise…and when is content too concise?
Communicate, Persuade And Sell
- Attract attention - make sure your core messages get looked at
- ‘Brainstem simple’ - create pages that get your message across to audiences, without them even realising it
- Front-loading – using techniques to maximise business benefit in your writing
- Guidelines and exercises on: headings, formatting, lists, links and buttons
Writing Across Websites – Guidelines And Examples
- Home pages
- Product pages (if applicable)
- Shopping cart and checkout pages (if applicable)
- FAQ’s and help pages
- Navigation and calls-to-action
Improving Email Performance
- Optimising From and Subject fields
- Working with preview panes and images
- Optimising writing for landing pages
- Writing to improve email strategy and targeting
- Social – best practice for Facebook posts and Twitter tweets
- Mobile – learn how to structure and write content that is suited for mobile devices
- Accessibility – make sure your website is W3C-compliant
- Managing a team – how to support your organisation in creating online content that is consistently excellent
- Review and editing of others’ work – practical advice to help make this quick, effective and efficient
Following this training course, you will be able to:
- Write online content that successfully communicates, persuades and sells more effectively
- Understand how web, mobile and social channels impact on writing
- Make sure that your key messages stand out and are immediately understood by your audience
- Develop organisational policies and processes to ensure consistently excellent online writing (including tone of voice)
- Edit and improve other peoples’ online writing
- Sell the value of high quality online writing within your organisation
All attendees receive an attendance certificate, digital copies of course material and four weeks post course support online.
The Writing for the Web course is ideal for anyone involved in writing, curating or editing website copy and content. Typical attendees include: copywriters, content editors, marketing and website managers, project managers and business owners.
Tim Fidgeon is one of the UK’s leading trainers in online writing and user experience. He has worked in digital marketing since the 90's and has a background in psychology and usability. He has worked with lots of major brands, including: Coca-Cola, Sony, Vodafone and General Motors.
Read more about Tim Fidgeon »
Friendly, fun and professional - what more do you want!
Great course run by a friendly knowledgeable trainer who kept our interest and made sure that all the different levels of experience within the room were catered for, and got the most they could out of the day.
I found the course informative, friendly and beneficial for my role at work. Information came at a good pace and there was a good mix of teaching and discussion.
The Simply Group
The writing for the web course was well executed and put together, with a tutor who could answer anything that was thrown at him. The whole day was informative and refreshing!
The Simply Group
The Writing for the Web course was really informative and enjoyable. I would definitely recommend for people new to communications.
Excellent course, covering a lot of relevant and interesting content. I have learned lots about the science of web interaction, as well as how to put my point across in the most effective way. Thanks very much!
This was a fantastic course and perfectly tailored for a team of communications professionals - all of whom had differing levels of experience and skill. I'd thoroughly recommend it.
Goldsmiths, University of London
Very informative course with an excellent speaker in Tim Fidgeon.
This course is ideal for anyone who has to use copywriting in their job, whether they are new to the industry or experienced and looking to add some new ideas to their work.
Copywriters need this course because the web is unlike any other channel. (And Tim's a very engaging trainer.)