Writing for the Web Training Course
Turbo-boost your online and email writing skills
|Course date||Location||Price *|
Course length: 1 day (9.30am - 5.00pm) includes breakfast, lunch and refreshments
* All prices exclude VAT
High quality online content for your web, mobile and social presence is critical to your organisation's success. Copy has a massive impact on audience perceptions and is the best way to communicate, persuade and sell.
Our practical one day online writing course offers research-based best practice that has been shown to improve web page and email marketing performance by over 100%.
We will use many real-life examples and re-write exercises making this a fun day, that will help you to develop real confidence in your new copywriting skills.
This course will leave you super-energised to start improving your online and digital content!
Understanding Your Audience
- How people read online - the impact on online copywriting
- Profiling – ways to understand your audience better, so you can write for them more effectively
- Scrolling - encouraging people to scroll and how to manage it if they don’t
- Offers and promotions – how to get people reading this critical content
- Legibility - ensure your text is easy to read on the screen
Choosing The Right Language
- What sort of language should you use online?
- Grammar - how fussy should we be?
- Guidelines and exercises on: vocabulary, sentences and paragraphs
- Tone of voice – developing consistency and excellence within an organisation
- Concision – how can we be more concise…and when is content too concise?
Communicate, Persuade And Sell
- Attract attention - make sure your core messages get looked at
- ‘Brainstem simple’ - create pages that get your message across to audiences, without them even realising it
- Front-loading – using techniques to maximise business benefit in your writing
- Guidelines and exercises on: headings, formatting, lists, links and buttons
Writing Across Websites – Guidelines And Examples
- Home pages
- Product pages (if applicable)
- Shopping cart and checkout pages (if applicable)
- FAQ’s and help pages
- Navigation and calls-to-action
Improving Email Performance
- Optimising From and Subject fields
- Working with preview panes and images
- Optimising writing for landing pages
- Writing to improve email strategy and targeting
- Social – best practice for Facebook posts and Twitter tweets
- Mobile – learn how to structure and write content that is suited for mobile devices
- Accessibility – make sure your website is W3C-compliant
- Managing a team – how to support your organisation in creating online content that is consistently excellent
- Review and editing of others’ work – practical advice to help make this quick, effective and efficient
Following this training course, you will be able to:
- Write online content that successfully communicates, persuades and sells more effectively
- Understand how web, mobile and social channels impact on writing
- Make sure that your key messages stand out and are immediately understood by your audience
- Develop organisational policies and processes to ensure consistently excellent online writing (including tone of voice)
- Edit and improve other peoples’ online writing
- Sell the value of high quality online writing within your organisation
All attendees receive an attendance certificate, digital copies of course material and four weeks post course support online.
The Writing for the Web course is ideal for anyone involved in writing, curating or editing website copy and content. Typical attendees include: copywriters, content editors, marketing and website managers, project managers and business owners.
Tim Fidgeon is one of the UK’s leading trainers in online writing and user experience. He has worked in digital marketing since the 90's and has a background in psychology and usability. He has worked with lots of major brands, including: Coca-Cola, Sony, Vodafone and General Motors.
Read more about Tim Fidgeon »
Excellent course. Thorough, clear and interesting - I learned a lot!
Anglia Ruskin University
The trainer was fantastic - very funny and engaging. I've gained some very useful knowledge and thoroughly enjoyed myself.
University of Reading
Writing for the Web was that rare mixture in a course: informative, interesting and fun. The practical exercises provided just the right level of challenge to reinforce the lessons and concepts outlined by the presenter, and explored in the various points of discussion.
University of Reading
The course was a great introduction to writing for the web and the tutor was very engaging and helpful, I took away some useful advice. The food was also great.
The presenter was very informative and enthusiastic which was refreshing and kept you interested. The amount covered in one day was impressive too.
Thank you Tim for a very informative day in lovely surroundings with plenty of refreshments and a tasty lunch. I learnt a lot and just need to put it in to practice now.
Red Funnel Group
Great course - informative and enjoyable. Would highly recommend, and Tim was an enthusiastic and knowledgeable course leader.
An excellent and insightful course that provides you with helpful information to improve the legibility and marketability of your web content.
Tim Figeon was a great tutor who, through his enthusiasm, humour and relevance, made the course content comprehensible, useful and memorable.
The Simply Group
Great course to help you understand how people consume content on the web. Recommended!