Mobile Usability & UX Training Course
Improve your mobile user experience using real-world evidence
Mobile has overtaken desktops/laptops as the preferred route to access the Internet. Two billion of us are smartphone users – browsing, sharing content, and buying on our mobiles. According to Goldman Sachs, mCommerce will grow from 22% to 32% of online sales by 2019 – worth $626 billion globally.
Most businesses still provide a poor user experience on mobile, playing into the hands of competitors, who offer their customers quick, easy and rewarding mobile interactions.
Our one day mobile usability and user experience course combines the principles of UX with practical advice and real-world examples, to help you produce significant and rapid improvements to your mobile sites and native apps.
The course includes a rapid prototyping session for participants, to tackle a live UX brief for mobile, tablet and wearable devices, using world-class UX techniques.
Setting the scene - Mobile and Tablet usage
- Mobile landscape, trends and drivers: consumers, platforms, technologies
- A review of the plethora of devices you should design for: mobiles tablets, wearables
- How user experience drives customer behaviour
Mobile design – Challenges and issues
- How to consider tasks in mind and time available
- Screen size and orientation issues
- Factoring touchscreens, microphones, cameras
- Considerations around download and processing speeds
- Dealing with multiple operating systems
- Building gesture support
- Location and privacy issues
Optimised site, native app, or both?
- Pros and cons of responsive sites and native apps
- Designing sites which drive repeat traffic
- Creating apps which get downloads, ratings and reviews
Key UX Ingredients Of High Performance Sites and Apps
- Simple customer journeys matching customer needs
- Focus on accessibility and easy site navigation
- Develop rich media to drive SEO & Appstore optimisation
- Build in content sharing functionality
- Make it easy for customers to contact you
Carrying Out Usability Research
- Gathering insights from your business teams and customers
- Understanding your mobile customers and what they’re after
Mobile Usability Guidelines
- Menus and navigation - burgers, lists, carousels, drop downs, pop-ups
- Easy data input - search, form-fields, Touch ID, and validation
- Copywriting - easy to find, read, share
- Make elements useful, usable, attractive – fonts, icons, images, links and buttons
- Minimise errors - how to notify and support users
- Integrate touch, camera and audio into your site or app design
Live UX challenge for group to put learnings into action
Following this training course, you will be able to:
- Understand the usability challenges posed by mobile devices
- Design a customer experience for mobile devices that follows best practice
- Brief your suppliers on what you want from your mobile site or app
- Write, curate and edit mobile-friendly copy
- Design and run mobile usability testing sessions
All attendees receive an attendance certificate, digital copies of course material and four weeks post course support online.
The Mobile Usability and UX course is ideal for anyone involved in planning, designing or commissioning mobile apps or digital content that can be accessed on mobile devices. Typical attendees include: designers, project managers, marketing and website managers or business owners.
This course requires no previous knowledge of mobile design or development.
Rob is a recognised expert in mobile marketing, mCommerce and CRM. He helps leading retailers, entertainment and other consumer-facing companies adopt new digital platforms, rethink their consumer-engagement models, and transform their marketing and sales performance.
He is Founder and Managing Partner of Burn The Sky, the digital. His clients include American Express, CVC Capital Partners, Heineken, HSBC, John Lewis, O2, Paddy Power, PwC, Richemont and Superdry.
Read more about Rob Thurner »
I came away buzzing with ideas and eager to put things into practice at work. The venue was light and airy with food and drinks on tap - a perfect learning space.
Sheffield Children's NHS Foundation Trust
Fantastic course giving a good introduction to mobile UX as well as some great learning for people with some experience already.
Simple Click Solutions Limited
This was a great course - informative, enjoyable, interactive, engaging & thorough. I'd most definitely recommend this course to colleagues.
Excellent teacher. I found there was lots of useful information about the challenges we face in designing for mobile. I enjoyed the discussion around Responsive vs Adaptive web design and came away with useful examples of how to explain these concepts to colleagues and clients.
Fantastic course led by a knowledgeable and experienced instructor.
A really useful training day which covered key principles and practical applications.
The Mobile UX & Usability course was really useful and the discussion points and activities made the content more engaging.