Mobile Usability & UX Training Course
Improve your mobile user experience using real-world evidence
Mobile has overtaken desktops/laptops as the preferred route to access the Internet. Two billion of us are smartphone users – browsing, sharing content, and buying on our mobiles. According to Goldman Sachs, mCommerce will grow from 22% to 32% of online sales by 2019 – worth $626 billion globally.
Most businesses still provide a poor user experience on mobile, playing into the hands of competitors, who offer their customers quick, easy and rewarding mobile interactions.
Our one day mobile usability and user experience course combines the principles of UX with practical advice and real-world examples, to help you produce significant and rapid improvements to your mobile sites and native apps.
The course includes a rapid prototyping session for participants, to tackle a live UX brief for mobile, tablet and wearable devices, using world-class UX techniques.
Understanding Your Customer & Usability research
- Identifying user needs, behaviours, motivations and what they value on mobile
- Creating a ‘backlog’ of user stories
- Preparing a benchmark to define best and worst practice
- Usability research exercise
Mapping The Experience, User Flows and Information Architecture
- Customer journeys and journey mapping for online and mobile
- Identifying top tasks for the journeys they represent
- Creating user flows to illustrate the different persona needs for online and mobile
- Auditing Information Architecture (IA) for your website or mobile app
Mobile Design - Challenges and Issues
- How to consider tasks in mind and time available
- Screen size and orientation issues
- Factoring touchscreens, microphones, cameras
- Considerations around download and processing speeds
- Dealing with multiple operating systems
- Building gesture support
- Location and privacy issues
Wireframes and Prototyping
- Preparing paper “low fidelity” wireframes
- Evolving coded “high fidelity” prototypes
- Why prototyping makes commercial sense and wins over stakeholders
- Preparing assets for prototyping
Mobile Usability Guidelines
- Menus and navigation - burgers, lists, carousels, drop downs, pop-ups
- Easy data input - search, form-fields, Touch ID, and validation
- Copywriting - easy to find, read, share
- Make elements useful, usable, attractive – fonts, icons, images, links and buttons
- Minimise errors - how to notify and support users
- Integrate touch, camera and audio into your site or app design
Testing The Experience
- Adopting a culture or constant testing and iteration
- Overview of analytics tools: online, guerrilla testing, focus groups
- User testing and moderation techniques
- Best practice tips for mobile and tablet
- Adding to the development schedule
- Accessibility – touch on requirements
Following this training course, you will be able to:
- Understand the usability challenges posed by mobile devices
- Design a customer experience for mobile devices, that follows best practice
- Map the customer journey and use this to identify opportunities on web and mobile
- Create a better mobile user experience through User-Centered Design (UCD) methods
- Design and run mobile usability testing sessions
All attendees receive an attendance certificate, digital copies of course material and four weeks post course support online.
The Mobile Usability and UX course is ideal for anyone involved in planning, designing or commissioning mobile apps or digital content that can be accessed on mobile devices. Typical attendees include: designers, project managers, marketing and website managers or business owners.
This course requires no previous knowledge of mobile design or development.
Rob is a recognised expert in mobile marketing, mCommerce and CRM. He helps leading retailers, entertainment and other consumer-facing companies adopt new digital platforms, rethink their consumer-engagement models, and transform their marketing and sales performance.
He is Founder and Managing Partner of Burn The Sky, the digital. His clients include American Express, CVC Capital Partners, Heineken, HSBC, John Lewis, O2, Paddy Power, PwC, Richemont and Superdry.
Read more about Rob Thurner »
This was great course. Rob is extremely knowledgeable. His passion for mobile and UX was inspiring and he is a great teacher. I came away with a long list of actions that I am looking forward to testing.
I came away buzzing with ideas and eager to put things into practice at work. The venue was light and airy with food and drinks on tap - a perfect learning space.
Sheffield Children's NHS Foundation Trust
Fantastic course giving a good introduction to mobile UX as well as some great learning for people with some experience already.
Simple Click Solutions Limited
This was a great course - informative, enjoyable, interactive, engaging & thorough. I'd most definitely recommend this course to colleagues.
Excellent teacher. I found there was lots of useful information about the challenges we face in designing for mobile. I enjoyed the discussion around Responsive vs Adaptive web design and came away with useful examples of how to explain these concepts to colleagues and clients.
Fantastic course led by a knowledgeable and experienced instructor.
A really useful training day which covered key principles and practical applications.
The Mobile UX & Usability course was really useful and the discussion points and activities made the content more engaging.