Digital Media Sales Training Course
Get to grips with the digital media landscape and terminology
|Please note: This course is currently only available in-house|
Selling Digital Media is challenging at the best of times and can seem particularly opaque with its multitude of acronyms and jargon.
This intensive one day training course aims to teach the absolute fundamentals of digital media and online advertising sales. The overall aim of the course is to inform, motivate and inspire an interest in digital media.
A hands-on, interactive experience - you will finish the day with a stronger understanding of the landscape, terminology and metrics, and with some invaluable strategies in hand to sell successfully in digital media.
Introduction: The Digital Media Landscape
- Importance of digital for marketers today
- The digital disciplines: Search, Display, Social, Affiliate, Mobile, Video
Tools Of The Trade
- Defining the core terminology
- Online ad formats: how they’re used and their benefits
- 12 essential targeting and buying options: understanding the sales story in a competitive landscape
Ad Operations, Campaign Delivery And The Sales Process
- Sales and account management processes - who, when and how
- Ad operations - how ads are served, tracked and measured
- Monetising your inventory more effectively
- Examples of ad targeting in practice
- Third party ad servers – how advertisers and agencies use them to measure success
Digital Trading And The Buying Landscape
- Defining the sales and buying process from start to finish
- The metrics and maths of digital media trading – CPM, CPA, CPL and CPC
- “Who’s eating whose lunch?” - who’s who in the digital ecosystem
- Clients and agencies - how they work together
- Networks - how they operate and they value they deliver
- Knowing how to influence the buying decision
Measurement, Insights And Tools
- How campaigns are measured
- Essential metrics and tools for measurement
- Using 3rd party research to enhance the sales story
Staying Ahead Of The Competition With Insight
- Using trade websites and social media channels
- 10 email newsletters that will give you a competitive edge
- Influencing customers through use of insight
An Exercise In Selling Digital To Clients
- Team work on a client brief
- Develop and present a proposal in response to the brief
Following this training course, you will have a better understanding of:
- Essential digital advertising jargon, the key channels and the underlying principles
- The different metrics and measurement in digital media
- The calculations behind digital media
- How digital ads are delivered and tracked
- How digital media is bought and sold, and by whom
- The impact of automated buying
- How properties and campaigns are measured
- How to stay informed on digital buying
- How to tailor campaigns to client objectives
All attendees receive an attendance certificate, hard and soft copies of course materials and four weeks post course support online.
The Digital Media Sales course is aimed at: existing ad sales people looking to gain a better understanding of the basics of digital media, individuals who have just started their first sales job in digital, anyone in an account management or client services function in digital media or anyone who will need to be client-facing in their role.
The Digital Media Sales training course is led by Colin Smith. In a career that has included director-level roles for LinkedIn, Yahoo!, Aol and Advertising.com, Colin has led sales of Social, Video, Mobile, Portal, Behavioural, Performance Network, Premium Network, Search and Ad technology across B2B & B2C, in both start-up and enterprise organisations.
He is also been a regular contributor to IAB councils and a conference speaker.
Read more about Colin Smith »